Sanitation & Recycling
- Illegal Dumping. Most unclaimed material left at the curbside, in alleys, other common trash collection areas, or the street, can be picked up by the City. Items that can be left for regular collection will be scheduled for pickup on the next collection day. Questionable items will be checked and necessary steps will be made for proper collection and disposal. Call 3-1-1 to report Illegal Dumping. After hours (4pm-7am), if illegal dumping is in progress, or items are left on the street and blocking traffic, call (877) ASK-LAPD / (877) 275-5273. Always remember to have a list of the items to pick up ready.
- Bulky Item Pickup. This FREE service is for all Los Angeles residents, whether living in homes or multi-family dwellings (apartments, condominiums, etc.). Dial 3-1-1 or call 1-800-773-CITY (2489) to request pickup of their bulky items such as: mattresses, couches, furniture, appliances, ovens, refrigerators. Remember to have a list of the items to pick up ready.
- Container Services. Request additional or replacement containers on the Bureau of Sanitation Service Request form or call 3-1-1.
- Special Collection Services. The Bureau of Sanitation provides services to collect items that cannot be placed in the regular black, blue, or green containers. These include brown containers for horse manure, pick-up or events to collect electronic waste, collection of excess trash from moving, collection of paint and hazardous materials, or annual excess brush or yard trimming collection. Learn more about these services.
- Financial Assistance. The Lifeline program offers eligible customers a discounted rate for the Solid Resources Fee – otherwise known as the “trash fee”. Eligibility needs to be verified every two years to determine if the discounted rate should continue. Learn more on the Bureau of Sanitation website.